Prepare time: 30 min
Cook: 40 min
Ready in: 1 hr 10 min
Baked plantain is a popular Ivorian recipe. it is eaten almost everywhere in Ivory Coast. It has a great taste and very satisfying. It can be prepared in various ways. Common methods are roasting or frying.
- 3 lrg Very ripe plantains
- 2 tsp Chillie sambal, fresh
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 60 ml Corn oil
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Peel the plantains, cut them into small chunks & put into a large deep mixing bowel.
- Mash into a thick paste with your fingers or an electric clender.
- If using a blender, you may need to add 30-60 ml of water for smoother blending. Add the chilli sambal, rice flour, salt and mix well.
- Gently heat the corn oil in a frying pan and add the turmeric. Stir well, remove from the heat and blend into the plantain mixture which should be thinck yet soft enough to pour.
- If it is too soft, add small amounts of rice flour or if too stiff, add small amounts of water until it reached th described consistency.
- Grease a loaf tin, and pour plantain mixture into it.
- Bake in teh overn on medium to low heat at 150-180C for 1 hr. or until cooked and firm. When cooked, remove from the overn and allow to stand for approximately 5-10 mins before turning it out on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with salted peanuts or as an accompaniment to spicy dishes.