The Macaroni and Cheese made from starch is billion times better than a box. You are going to love Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese. It is also American favorite comfort food. The Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese is cheesy, creamy and the baked crust is everything.
Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 oz Macaroni precooked (Boil a large pot of salt water and add the pasta. Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain and reserve the pasta. – Don’t rinse the pasta.)
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tsp bouillon cube
- ½ tsp salt
- 3½ cups milk
- 16 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- In a heavy-bottomed large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter, whisking until smooth. Stir constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don’t let it get brown (this should take about 2 minutes).
Preparing Bechamel Sauce
- Stir in the milk ½ cup at a time ( feel free to eyeball it ), only adding the next half cup once the previous one has been incorporated entirely. Continue to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
- Add a 2/3 cheddar cheese, salt, cube, stir into the milk/flour sauce until melted. Reduce heat to low and whisk until melted.
Preparing the Baked macaroni and cheese
- Remove saucepan from heat, stir in the macaroni. Toss the macaroni with cheese sauce
- Pour into a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with the remaining extra cheddar cheese. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot!